Monday, September 06, 2004

A great (and free) desktop search engine

Here's an update on my continuing quest for a reasonably-priced and effective desktop search program.

I received an e-mail last week from Martin Bouchard, co-founder of Copernic Technologies, who read this previous post that mentions several desktop search applications I have tried. He urged me to try the new Copernic Desktop Search http://www.copernic.com/. A few days later, another attorney from my office sent me an e-mail suggesting that I try it as well--so I succumbed to all the peer pressure and I installed it. I am glad I did.

Copernic Desktop Search lets you use Boolean operators (AND, OR, NOT as well as parentheses and quotes) to search your emails (even if you use Outlook on a network and your mail resides on a server, unlike some of the other software), files of many different types (including PDFs), music, movies, favorites and Web content. File attachments to e-mails are also searched by checking a box below the search window. You can even control which Outlook folders you would like to index (or not index). The price is unbeatable – it’s free.

The program will index new files and new emails in real time as soon as they are created or modified on your computer, so there's no need to schedule a reindex. The index makes finding documents very fast. It also monitors the CPU load to make sure the indexing takes place during down time.

As I mentioned in my previous post, X1 is a very good product, but before you shell out $100 for it, you must try this product. I'll bet you find that it meets your needs very well. If you have hundreds of articles and forms on your PC (as I do), a program like this can save you countless hours.

No comments: